Having vision can take you to new heights. Those new heights pan out your future in the brightest light possible. Joshua Farmer, notably known as SB Surfsup is a rapper hailing from Memphis Tennessee. No stranger to the music industry, SB has been making music and igniting movements in his city over the past ten years. His distinct sound and focus on his undeniable talent allowed him to reach those heights and walk in the brightest of lights. With breakout record “Be Her Man”, SB (at the time known as Skool Boy), made his mark as one of the hottest artists coming out of the South.
Growing up, SB did not have any direct musical influences in his family or circle. As the street life called, SB sought interest elsewhere. Raised in the “Juke Joints”, SB took a liking to superstars such as Bobby Brown and Michael Jackson. These music influences curated a blend of melody, harmony, soul, and trap. These sounds spearheaded the road to the next biggest act.
Starting off, SB hosted a ton of parties, led a street promotion team, built relationships with both radio and artist labels and began to release his music. At the time, earning a spot in the industry did not happen overnight or by way of popularity on social sites. His hustle, unique sound, and familiar face made him one of the biggest artists in his city which placed his hometown on the map.
After securing a hit record with Young Joc and Don Trip, “Go Girl”, the record labels began knocking at his door. Signing to Asylum/Warner label, mainstream was the next route for the star. Today, he has left Asylum and is now signed to Drought King Music. He has gone on to release two albums, three singles and has given Spotify a run for their money with successful streams. SB has tunnel vision when it comes to his music and what his supporters take from it. He wants his fans to know who he is through his music. He has started a clothing brand cleverly named “Dreamers & Believers”, as he once dreamed of being an artist and is setting the example that anything is possible if you believe and put in the work. As an avid supporter of his community, he also spends time helping the youth that suffer with mental health and behavioral issues. A man of many talents, SB is taking his career to the next level. Now that the South has had “something to say” SB has something to do. Soul trap has taken on a new meaning and SB is here to pave that lane as one of the next biggest acts to watch.
1. What’s your name, artist name and where are you from? -Artist Name I’m SB SurfsUp I’m From Memphis Tn , Hollywood in North Memphis to be exact.
2. What makes you different as a person and as an artist?( 100 words or more) As a person I will say it’s hard to be different like it’s somebody like you lol but basically the way I am I’m cut from a cloth that stands for something. I’m about standing strong and not folding for the bs. I’m a person that’s about making nothing out of something no excuses at all just get the job done. That’s me personally and as a artist when I didn’t have help or anything like that I didn’t let it stop me. I didn’t say well since I don’t have help I’m threw rapping hell know it just made me stronger simple as that. I’m artist that really focus on my craft and I’m really into the artist part and the music.
3. What do you want to accomplish in life? In life I wanna help people that really want the help like I wanna teach people that’s willing too listen and follow the correct way. With music I wanna show people it’s ways too do what you love and make a real honest living and support not only your family but the community you was raised in. We always complain about what the government not doing and we go get rich and do nothing for the city. So my thing is instead of crying about not getting help and all that go make some of yourself and you make a change. I wanna really make a difference were I’m from like use my stardom and help my city hood by hood.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In 5 years I should definitely be a superstar type artist like up there up there lol str8up I should have hella gold and platinum records and I just definitely be in the talks for mogul of the year and things like that. I’m not just a artist I’m a business man a father a provider a person that leads and guide. So it’s like the more stardom power I get the more better I can use it too change stuff for the better and just create a new way for artist and producers , writers too achieve something at the highest level without suffering and things of that nature, I’m gone be big that’s facts.
5. What do you bring to the music world? Basically like what I answered in questions 2,3,4 I bring a lot too the table. Musically I’m really into it a 100% I love creating I love networking I just love the process so it’s a lot of passion behind what I do. So I know I will be giving the fans my best body of work every time I release something Because I always approach my music with passion and not thinking about how much money I can make by just throwing stuff out there. I believe in Quality over quantity.
6. What legacy do you want to leave behind? Basically I will be looked at like that was the artist that changed the game in the best way possible he really lead the way and did what he spoke about when it comes too helping out. He showed other artist too be themselves and trust in your work and understand to never give up. They will name hella artist , writers , producers , ceos etc and say SB SurfsUp the reason they in that position. I’m about creating and helping people reach there full potential. I want my kids to be proud when they speak about how great I am , I want them too see me reach the highest level and then I I pass my kids and my nieces and nephews the platform to run it while I’m on a island enjoying retirement lol foreal.